Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Thank You Notes: Powerful Yet Underutilized Networking Tool

Residency applicants generally understand the importance of sending thank-you notes, letters, or cards to programs following interview visits. Less common, but no less important, is a thank you note sent to those who are helping you in the residency application process – your advisor, your recommendation letter writers, etc.

When I was growing up, my parents always encouraged me to write thank-you notes or cards to those who had given me gifts. I must confess that I didn’t always follow their advice. “I can just thank them when I see them again” was what I often thought. Now years later, my views have changed, and I see the wisdom in my parent’s advice.

If there is one concern that I hear from other faculty members, it is that they rarely receive a thank you. Although the process of sending a thank you note requires some effort and time on your part, don’t forget that those who are helping you reach your professional goals have spent a considerable amount of their own valuable time. By acknowledging their assistance and expressing gratitude, you are strengthening your relationship.

Matching successfully is not a solo effort. You need the support and assistance of others, and you never know when you might need their help again. For example, a letter writer might be able to conduct a mock interview as interview season draws near or call a residency program to sing your praises.

You are more likely to receive the assistance you require if you take the time and effort to maintain and build your relationships. Thank you notes are an excellent way to do so.

Visit: MD2B
Visit: IMG Assist

Share

2 comments:

  1. Incredible blog entry, For any situation, they're additional made actually countries, the illumination is revealed that the additional extent of individuals living this useful link webpage over there square measure educated and having the information.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis